Wednesday 12 December 2007

On the blink

Given this year's spate of shouts to climbers, I thought I'd share this photos of my friend Heather climbing earlier this year. It's good to see that she's taken the health and safety notice seriously! Can you guess where she is? There's a free tour of our boathouse for whoever gets the answer correct.

It's funny how you don't give modern appliances a second thought until they cease to work. This morning, as I was writing today's post, my computer screen at home blinked then died (contrary to popular opinion I tend to write my posts at home in the morning, save them, then proof read them during break time at school). This didn't seem good, particularly as there was a very strong burning smell coming out of the top of it. I turned it off and stared blankly at the dead screen. And I'm gutted, it's been a part of my life for 4 years and now it's gone.

Still, looking on the bright side I've just ordered a 19" flat screen thing so it's not all doom and gloom. Let's hope it arrives quickly.

Talking of work, it's now only 3 days until the holidays. Mother has issued her usual summons from Whitby so I will be away next week visiting Yorkshire. This should give me a chance to visit the boathouse there and have a chat with Glen about recent events on Whitby Lifeboat. In my absence Dave, our Mechanic, is going to be a guest blogger for the week. The good news is he knows how to use a computer and take photos. The bad news is I've no idea if, being a mechanic, he can string more than a couple of words together at a time. We'll see!

The weather here is bitter just now, -4 degrees this morning. It should make tonight's exercise a fairly crisp affair. Superb.

4 comments:

Mart said...

"Can you guess where she is? There's a free tour of our boathouse for whoever gets the answer correct."

Half way up a big rock? - whens my tour? :o)

Enjoy your week away. You are right about it being blooming cold...I have just finished a run of nights. It has got to be one of the worst feelings having to de-ice your car before you can go home to bed!

Thats just made me think of a completely random question.... Boats that are moored afloat, do they need their windows de-icing on winter night shouts?!

Anonymous said...

It took me a while, but I think I know where she is ...

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2007/04/24/the-white-arch/

Mark R

lifeboatjohn said...

Nicw try Mart, more precision needed.

Spot on Mark....name the date!

David P said...

I could tell you also the time it was taken - 13:22:29 - if you wish. That's simple. Though there are easier ways to cheat if you know where to look - eg the first pic taken that day was at 07:00, courageous at that time of year. (Sorry, John, and Mark too.)

David P.