Thursday 6 December 2007

How time flies..........

A year ago, when I started this blog, I decided I would do it for a year and then leave it. A snapshot in time. A record of one year in our station's life if you like. I wanted to show what lifeboating was like behind the scenes. Not just the Gale force winds, heroic struggles and bearded old hands. But also the training, the fun, the sadness and the rest. I hope I've achieved this?

The first post was on the 6th December 2006. Since then I have posted 320 times and there have been 48,005 visitors. The busiest day was Monday the 11th of June when there were 833 page loads and the busiest month was June when there were 6,975 visitors.

So here it is, our snapshot. I hope you have enjoyed it.

John

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which Im certain.

I've lived a life thats full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried.
I've had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,
I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!

(Frank Sinatra - My Way)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you really giving up your blog? it just shows how many people are interested in your work/blog
hope you reconsider
best wishes
Joan

Markos said...

What, you mean it's over??
C'mon mate, don't do this to your faithful readers...

Mart said...

Wow.


I knew it was always intended as a year long thing, but the posts always flowed so naturally and read so well.

I for one will miss you and the life of the Swanage boat.

I really appreciate the amount of work you have put into this blog has been well worth reading, and I am sure if you were to decide to keep posting people would gladly read it!

I'll miss your photos too!!

Thanks again for a wonderful read John, hopefully hear some of your stories in some way in the future.

All the best to you and the crew

Martin

Unknown said...

That's a terrible shame.

I do hope you reconsider, as I do find it enjoyable, interesting and informative.

Will said...

Like everyone else, I hope you will at least put up the occasional post - the dramatic and the pointless - just as a way of keeping us up to speed, informed and entertained.

I know it doesn't want to become a chore but I hope you'll find the time now and then. (It's not as if you've a proper job!)

I might even be persuaded to add some to the Justgiving box. You ought to go on until you've at least reached your target!

Anonymous said...

Oh, stop bleating John. Looking forward to tomorrow's post.

Mark R

Anonymous said...

A great idea Will, if we all make a contribution to the Justgiving box we can persuade John to continue, or how about Steve, Joe or Becky.

DC

Savage Family said...

John, this blog has been entertaining and illuminating, giving a great insight into the work of the RNLI. Whilst I will miss the blog, I understand your reason to call it a day, and wish you and the crew all the best in the work you do. Sometimes it is best to go out on top, and I have no doubt that you have numerous other projects in the pipeline. (If they involve another blog, be sure to let your readers know).

It was a pleasure to meet you and your family in the summer, thank you for your kindness in showing the boys the boats.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

I've been follwing your blog all year. You can't give it up now. It gives a real insight into the work of the RNLI. You are a real life abmbassador.
Keep posting!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, mate! Will miss "a little bit of daily Swanage" - and you write so well!

David P.

Douglas Wilcox said...

Hi John, whatever you do with regard to the blog, I would just like to say thank you for a great year!

:o)

Anonymous said...

NOOOOO!!!!!! Man I just found your blog and I notice that I am checking in on it as part of my daily reads! Please don't stop as it is well written and very interesting stuff. Maybe you would consider doing it like a bi-weekly blog or something?

Mark
Canada

Nick said...

John - I will make it my mission to change your mind this weekend! I have read every post and will really miss it.

What's next then...

"A teachers journal"

"The trials and tribulations of a working dad"

You've got to give us something.

Nick

lifeboatjohn said...

Gee, you guys!

Thanks for all the encouragement. How can I resist, I'll keep going as long as I have time and anything interestng to say!

John