Monday 12 March 2007

'Marmalata buttress' rescue

I've discovered that it is nigh on impossible to take decent photos at night, with a compact camera on a wildly rolling lifeboat. However, this shot just about gives an impression of what was happening on Saturday night. At the top of the shot are the Coastguard team, halfway down the Coastguard cliff man (Austin Rocket.......yes really!) and one casualty and at the bottom the ILB. I'm sure Steve can tell us how high the cliff is here but take it from me, you probably wouldn't want to be there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's not a stupid question...what were the rescuees doing there in the middle of the night?

lifeboatjohn said...

I didn't find out Mark. Steve assures me that Marmalata is a very tricky climb with no way out other than up. I guess they were a bit over confident, pulled down their abseil rope and then blew it. I don't even know how they raised the alarm....