Sunday 24 February 2008

My idea of heaven on earth......

So thanks to Gavin for holding the fort in my absence. I have to say I had every expectation that he would do a fine job. He didn't let us down. So I'm now back and, in the absence of anything happening on the lifeboating front, here are a few photos from Wales.....

On the quayside in Barmouth I happened upon this incredibly well cared for building. The Barmouth Sailors' Institute. Being a sailor and interested in these sort of things I ventured inside and found a real gem.

It was erected in 1890 by Canon Edward Hughes, then Rector of Barmouth who was known for his endeavours to meet both the spiritual and the social needs of his parishioners. It is apparently a rare surviving example of its kind.

Institutes of this type were once common in coastal communities throughout the British Isles. They were important meeting places for sailors and their families and served both a social and educational need. I assume that they were encouraged as they provided an alternative meeting place to the pub?

In addition to the fine Victorian Reading Room which remains very much as it was when built (but is clearly intended to be used judging by the assortment of recent journals and books), the Institute houses a Billiard Room which is still used today.

If I hadn't had the kids with me I might have lost a day or two in there!

3 comments:

Mart said...

Glad you enjoyed your hols John, when I first saw the photo and "My idea of heaven on earth" I thought you meant the giant ice cream!!

Swanage Coastguard said...

Welcome home

lifeboatjohn said...

No, I'm even more sad than that Mart!