Thursday 1 February 2007

What if?

With the exception of Dave the Mechanic, we all have day jobs. When our pagers go off we expect to be on the boat, sliding down the slip in under 10 minutes. With few exceptions this means that if we are at work then it is a case of drop whatever you are doing and running. Consequently this is something that most of us plan for and have in mind most of the time.

For me this is doubly difficult as I invariably have responsibility for 30ish students at any one time. Thankfully I frequently have a teaching assistant with me. I like to think that this is not entirely because I can't cope on my own! In the event of a shout they are the first to hold the fort. I leave the room, run down the corridor and call into the office on the way out of the door. Almost always there is a teacher or two lurking in the staffroom. Inevitably they then get asked to cover for me. Thus, on my return, there are often some ruffled feathers to smooth and I will loose my next few free lessons paying people back.

Mostly my TA is Laraine Ogden, all round school superhero. There is nothing she can't do and little she won't. Surely one of those people without whom it would all cease to function. Laraine............thanks!

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
But I don't know how

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me ?
And after all
You're my wonderwall

(Oasis)

No comments: