Thursday 3 January 2008

In the Bleak Midwinter

At 0505 this morning the Met office were forecasting a typically grim wintry day in the channel:

Thames Dover Wight Portland Plymouth:
East or southeast 6 or 7, occasionally gale 8, decreasing 4 or 5 later. Moderate or rough, occasionally very rough in Plymouth. occasional rain or sleet. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

As I looked up from my breakfast I noticed this fellow crossing the bay heading out into what is bound to be rougher weather. Stood on my decking the temperature was 0 degrees but felt like minus 5 in the 20 odd Mile per hour winds.

I hope he has a fair passage.

The pilot he looked out ahead
The hands on the cane and the heavin' of the lead
And the old man roared to wake the dead
Come and get your oats me son

Oh, now we see the lizzard light
Soon, me boys, we'll heave in sight
We'll soon be abreast of the Isle of Wight
Come and get your oats me son

(Whup Jamboree - Traditional Shanty)

No comments: