Wednesday 14 November 2007

Wing Co

Some time, way back in the summer, Steve (nicknamed 'Wing Co') asked me if I would take a photo of him being winched into the Coastguard Rescue Helicopter. I duly did this and promptly forgot that I have done so. Anyway, here is one of the shots I took. I rather like it.

Steve will probably be disappointed that it doesn't show his face but to be honest it's for the best, the look of utter fear in all the other shots tells a story in itself! To be fair though, I have been winched into helicopters many times and it never fails to terrify me. Imagine being suspended on the end of a small wire by a loop of webbing underneath something which common sense tells you shouldn't be up there in the sky. Makes me nervous.............

It also worries me considerably that there is a length of rope attached most of the way around the fuselage of the aircraft. Apparently this is to give you something to hold onto whilst you wait for the helicopter to sink.

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

(R Kelly)

No comments: