Tuesday 3 March 2009

Skid's Ark Royal trip

So it's a few weeks now since Skid went to sea on HMS Ark Royal. Finally however, I've managed to get some photos out of him so here are a few. From what he has said about it he had a terrific time and loved every minute of it. Judge for yourself.

He got the obligatory shot of himself stood next to the ships name-board.

Training on these sort of ships is continual and ongoing so Skid got to watch plenty going on. Here a couple of the lads are practising some gun drills.

The ships own flight were not embarked so there were no aircraft onboard. However, the RAF did oblige with a few landings in one of their Search and Rescue Seaking helicopters.

Sunsets at sea are always particularly impressive.

Skids voyage ended on home turf in Portsmouth, here the Ark Royal is passing the Spinnaker tower.

A great trip and I'm sure that Skid will remember the trip for many years to come. If anyone in the Royal navy is reading this...many thanks for making this trip possible and perhaps next time you might like to invite me?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of boats (I like to look at them, I don't like to go on them!) but for the Ark Royal I think I'd make an exception.

I can't look at the shot with the 'ski-jump' without remembering the Falklands war. Showing my age, though.